Two nights ago, at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee CHVRCHES welcomed opening band Lo Moon back to the stage for a beautiful cover of The Blue Nile’s hit song “The Downtown Lights”. This was the very first time the bands had covered this song and it was amazing! Watch the performance in the video below and tell us how many times you hit the replay button.
Watch CHVRCHES Perform “Graffiti” and a Cover of Kendrick Lamar’s “Love” on Triple J’s Like A Version
CHVRCHES are back in Australia in support of their third album Love Is Dead and today they made a return appearance on Triple J’s Like A Version Friday morning radio show. After a wee chat with hosts Sally and Erica the band performed their original track “Graffiti” followed by a brilliant cover of Kendrick Lamar’s “Love”.
CHVRCHES previously performed their hit song “Recover” and a stunning cover of Arctic Monkeys’ “Do I Wanna Know?” back in 2014 on Triple J's Like A Version.
CHVRCHES just revealed a breathtaking cover of “Stay” by Rihanna. Lauren Mayberry’s vocals shine with Iain Cook and Martin Doherty providing the instrumental backdrop on this beautiful cover song that was recorded at Spotify Studios NYC. Check out a CHVRCHIFIED sample below and listen to the full cover on Spotify along with an acoustic version of "Get Out". Tell us you didn’t shed a tear or two over this one?
A couple of weeks ago on March 7, 2018 Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty of CHVRCHES stopped by Power Station in New York City for a special acoustic session on the Honda Stage in collaboration with iHeartRadio. Until now we had no further details but all we can say is breathtaking! Watch performances below of “Get Out”, “The Mother We Share” and a cover of “XO” by Beyonce.
While away doing rehearsals for the Love Is Dead album campaign Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook, Martin Doherty and new touring drummer Jonny Scott of CHVRCHES stopped by the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge today for a quick chat and performance.
First up was their very first live performance of “Get Out” which was also their first performance with Scott. Last year BBC Radio 1 reporter Steve Holden accidentally discovered that if you play “Somebody Else” by The 1975 at double speed it sounded very much like CHVRCHES. Known for their fantastic covers the band took note of this and what followed was a stunning interpretation of “Somebody Else” sounding almost like their very own original track.
Our third annual Lauren Mayberry top ten moments of the year is here! Thank you for being such a great role model and inspiration to many. It becomes increasingly difficult to pick just ten of our favorite moments each year but without further ado continue reading below to see our Lauren Mayberry top ten moments of 2017.
10. Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty of CHVRCHES began working on their third album on February 7, 2017. While the finishing touches are being done now, Lauren did recently reveal the first details about the new album which we’re incredibly excited to hear in 2018. In the interview with EW, Mayberry said, “When I listen to the record, I feel like it’s the most pop stuff we’ve done and also the most aggressive and vulnerable at the same time. It was about really leaning into those moments — and also wanting there to be a real humanity and character to what we’re saying.”
9. CHVRCHES’ music was featured in the video game Chime Sharp and the music mixing game DropMix.
8. While visiting family and friends back home in Scotland, Lauren joined Paramore and a fan on stage for “Misery Business” at a show in Edinburgh.
7. Lauren and CHVRCHES co-producer pal David Simpson wrote and performed a song called “Ballad For A Friend” which was featured in the Funny Or Die mini-series The Real Stephen Blatt starring Justin Long.
6. CHVRCHES delivered a dreamy cover of Tegan and Sara’s “Call It Off” for The Con: X.
4. CHVRCHES released a beautiful new stripped-down version of “Down Side of Me” that was included in the 7 Inches for Planned Parenthood project benefiting the charity Planned Parenthood along with a new music video directed by actress Kristen Stewart.
3. After five wonderful years TYCI closed its doors. A collective run by women (founded by Lauren Mayberry) who care about things put together everything from a blog, live events, podcasts, radio shows, zines and more! We were sad to see them go but we certainly enjoyed many of their discussions and learned a lot. Thank you to everyone involved with TYCI.
2. CHVRCHES appeared in Archie Comics new series The Archies. A cameo appearance in issue #2 followed by the cover and more in-depth storylines in issue #3 where the band offered advice to the fledgling new band from Riverdale.
Thank you to Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook, Martin Doherty and everyone mentioned above for all the great memories and all your hard work! With another memorable year coming to a close we now look forward to 2018 and the release of CHVRCHES third album!
CHVRCHES Cover Cyndi Lauper and Joni Mitchell Plus Lauren Mayberry Sang with Computer Games at their Holiday Variety Show
Last night Lauren Mayberry and Martin Doherty of CHVRCHES along with friend Joey Howard played a stripped-down version of their original song “The Mother We Share” sandwiched by cover songs of “River” by Joni Mitchell and “Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper at their holiday variety show. Mayberry also joined Computer Games on stage for their song “Lost Boys Life”. The show hosted by CHVRCHES and Justin Long raised funds for The Girls Home and No Kid Hungry. Watch a couple of video clips below followed by the full performance from CHVRCHES.
Photo’s credited to Laura Studarus, Chris Rubalcava and Lauren Mayberry. Videos from SireOfPenguins (Twitter), Nate Julian (YouTube) and the YouTube video originally posted by moeinteractive (Twitter).
Earlier today Entertainment Weekly premiered CHVRCHES’ cover song of Tegan and Sara’s “Call It Off” for the upcoming album The Con X: Covers which is due out October 20th. Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty have done it again with another beautiful cover. Much longer than the original, this ambient interpretation will have you feeling like you’re floating in the clouds above. Give it a listen and let us know what you think in the comments below.
“Lauren [Mayberry of CHVRCHES] was one of the first artists we approached for The Con X: Covers project,” Tegan Quin told EW of the track. “We are massive fans of CHVRCHES and the music they make. Lauren is an ally to the LGBTQ community and has been outspoken and political, so she fit the ethos of the project perfectly. CHVRCHES are in the studio making a new record, so we were touched they made the time to cover ‘Call It Off.’”
Pre-order The Con X: Covers tomorrow from teganandsara.com and receive an instant download of CHVRCHES’ cover of “Call It Off”.
Yesterday, Tegan and Sara announced the artists who will be covering songs from their album The Con in celebration of its 10th anniversary. This amazing list of artists includes CHVRCHES, MUNA, Shura, PVRIS, Bleachers, Hayley Williams, Grimes, Cyndi Lauper and more. See the full tracklist below.
Proceeds will go to the Tegan and Sara Foundation which supports self-identified women and girls in the LGBTQ community. In the announcement the duo stated, “We asked 14 artists who were either outspoken allies of the LGTBQ community or LGBTQ themselves to each cover a song from The Con. We encouraged each artist to approach the song they were covering in any fashion they saw fit.”
CHVRCHES will be covering “Call It Off”.
Pre-orders for The Con X: Covers will begin on Tuesday, September 19 via teganandsara.com. The album is due out October 20th on CD and digital streaming while a vinyl edition is scheduled for release on December 22nd.
CD and Vinyl Tracklisting:
1. Ruth B. – I Was Married
2. MUNA – Relief Next to Me
3. Shura – The Con
4. Mykki Blanco – Knife Going In
5. PVRIS – Are You Ten Years Ago
6. Ryan Adams – Back in Your Head
7. City and Colour – Hop a Plane
8. Kelly Lee Owens – Soil, Soil
9. Bleachers – Burn Your Life Down
10. Hayley Williams of Paramore – Nineteen
11. Sara Bareilles – Floorplan
12. Shamir – Like O, Like H
13. Trashique (GRIMES X HANA) – Dark Come Soon
14. CHVRCHES – Call it Off
Digital Bonus Tracks:
15. Cyndi Lauper – Back in Your Head (Bonus Track)
16. Bleached – One Second (Bonus Track)
17. Vivek Shraya – I Take All the Blame (Bonus Track)
18. Tegan and Sara – Miami Still (Bonus Track Demo)