Some dreams do come true. CHVRCHES’ Lauren Mayberry grew up listening to the band Death Cab for Cutie and today she is featured on their new album Thank You for Today with some beautiful backing vocals on the track “Northern Lights”. Mayberry previously made a few guests appearances on stage to sing “Brothers on a Hotel Bed” with Death Cab for Cutie.
Give “Northern Lights” a listen below. Thank You for Today is now available worldwide on you favorite streaming services https://lnk.to/ThankYouforToday
Yesterday CHVRCHES announced they have become a patron for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Summer School for Girls Glasgow after hearing previous funding for the camp had fallen through. This summer camp will teach local girls aged 8-16 years how to rock out. Coming at just the right time, Girls Rock Glasgow said the sponsorship will enable them to move forward with plans and offer more places than ever before. The full announcement from CHVRCHES’ lead singer Lauren Mayberry can be read below.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Summer School for Girls Glasgow will take place from July 14-22, 2018 at Kinning Park Complex and Empire Studios. For more information regarding applications to attend or volunteering opportunities please visit Girls Rock Glasgow.
At the time of writing it has not been confirmed if the band will be appearing or teaching at the summer school however their currently listed concert schedule suggests they may be visiting.
Our third annual Lauren Mayberry top ten moments of the year is here! Thank you for being such a great role model and inspiration to many. It becomes increasingly difficult to pick just ten of our favorite moments each year but without further ado continue reading below to see our Lauren Mayberry top ten moments of 2017.
10. Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty of CHVRCHES began working on their third album on February 7, 2017. While the finishing touches are being done now, Lauren did recently reveal the first details about the new album which we’re incredibly excited to hear in 2018. In the interview with EW, Mayberry said, “When I listen to the record, I feel like it’s the most pop stuff we’ve done and also the most aggressive and vulnerable at the same time. It was about really leaning into those moments — and also wanting there to be a real humanity and character to what we’re saying.”
9. CHVRCHES’ music was featured in the video game Chime Sharp and the music mixing game DropMix.
8. While visiting family and friends back home in Scotland, Lauren joined Paramore and a fan on stage for “Misery Business” at a show in Edinburgh.
7. Lauren and CHVRCHES co-producer pal David Simpson wrote and performed a song called “Ballad For A Friend” which was featured in the Funny Or Die mini-series The Real Stephen Blatt starring Justin Long.
6. CHVRCHES delivered a dreamy cover of Tegan and Sara’s “Call It Off” for The Con: X.
4. CHVRCHES released a beautiful new stripped-down version of “Down Side of Me” that was included in the 7 Inches for Planned Parenthood project benefiting the charity Planned Parenthood along with a new music video directed by actress Kristen Stewart.
3. After five wonderful years TYCI closed its doors. A collective run by women (founded by Lauren Mayberry) who care about things put together everything from a blog, live events, podcasts, radio shows, zines and more! We were sad to see them go but we certainly enjoyed many of their discussions and learned a lot. Thank you to everyone involved with TYCI.
2. CHVRCHES appeared in Archie Comics new series The Archies. A cameo appearance in issue #2 followed by the cover and more in-depth storylines in issue #3 where the band offered advice to the fledgling new band from Riverdale.
Thank you to Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook, Martin Doherty and everyone mentioned above for all the great memories and all your hard work! With another memorable year coming to a close we now look forward to 2018 and the release of CHVRCHES third album!
CHVRCHES Cover Cyndi Lauper and Joni Mitchell Plus Lauren Mayberry Sang with Computer Games at their Holiday Variety Show
Last night Lauren Mayberry and Martin Doherty of CHVRCHES along with friend Joey Howard played a stripped-down version of their original song “The Mother We Share” sandwiched by cover songs of “River” by Joni Mitchell and “Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper at their holiday variety show. Mayberry also joined Computer Games on stage for their song “Lost Boys Life”. The show hosted by CHVRCHES and Justin Long raised funds for The Girls Home and No Kid Hungry. Watch a couple of video clips below followed by the full performance from CHVRCHES.
Photo’s credited to Laura Studarus, Chris Rubalcava and Lauren Mayberry. Videos from SireOfPenguins (Twitter), Nate Julian (YouTube) and the YouTube video originally posted by moeinteractive (Twitter).
CHVRCHES and actor Justin Long have put together a variety show to raise money for the Girls Home and No Kid Hungry. This show will feature music from members of CHVRCHES (Lauren Mayberry and Martin Doherty), Computer Games, Death Cab For Cutie, Jenny Owen Youngs, MUNA and The Pierces. The evening will also include performances by Cameron Esposito, Cobie Smulders, David Koechner, Justin Long, Neal Brennan, Nick Kroll, Pete Holmes, Rhea Butcher, Taran Killiam, Thomas Middleditch and Ben Schwartz, Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls plus more to be announced. This event will take place on December 13, 2017 at the Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles. Tickets go on sale this Friday, November 10th at 10 AM PST from Goldvoice.
Mayberry and Long visited the Girls Home in Granada earlier this year. Click here to watch footage from this visit and to learn what this wonderful group of people are doing to help these girls in need.
Lauren Mayberry to Perform at the Make Equality Reality Gala in Celebration of Equality Now’s 25th Anniversary
This coming Monday, October 30th, Equality Now will be celebrating their 25th anniversary at their annual “Make Equality Reality” gala. Equality Now, in its own words, “works to end violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world.”
Equality Now will be honoring Susan Chokachi (President and CEO, Gucci America) and Brisa De Angulo (Founder, A Breeze of Hope Foundation) with special performances by CHVRCHES’ Lauren Mayberry, Amir Arison, Vinie Burrows, Amy Carlson, Ana Gasteyer, Aasif Mandvi, Jennifer Morrison, Adepero Oduye, Dascha Polanco, Alysia Reiner, AnnaSophia Robb, Sheetal Sheth, Sasheer Zamata, Vicious Psi Steppers and a musical performance by Haim.
Mayberry has been a long-time advocate for equality, human rights and many other causes. Thank you, Lauren, and thank you to everyone involved with helping those in need. We stand with you.
The “Make Equality Reality” gala will be hosted at Gotham Hall in New York City with arrivals beginning at 6 PM. For sponsorship opportunities and tickets please click here.
Earlier this year CHVRCHES’ lead singer Lauren Mayberry and actor Justin Long visited the Girls Home in Granada, Nicaragua. Seeing the difficulties others face in this world is rather eye-opening but when we come together as people to help others these experiences can be very heartwarming.
Watch the new video below produced by Rachel Collingwood and Andrew Sutton capturing these moments from this visit by Mayberry and Long. To learn more and how you can help, please visit the Girls Home.
CHVRCHES’ lead singer Lauren Mayberry and actor Justin Long made a visit to the Girls Home in Granada, Nicaragua last month. While visiting, Mayberry and Long spent some time interacting with the girls and celebrated Madre Albertina’s birthday by attending mass with the Bishop of Granada where four girls received their first communion followed by a festive meal and dancing.
The girls living there have experienced the unimaginable from abuse and rape while others are social orphans who are no longer able to live with family members due to their own struggles from drug addiction or prostitution. It may not seem like much to most people but when these girls have visitors those painful memories from their past may be forgotten, even if for just a few moments. After seeing the smiles of these girls and visitors alike it really warms our hearts. Bringing joy to underprivileged youth can truly be a special moment in one’s life. To learn more and how you can help, please visit the Girls Home.
A Guitar Signed by Lauren Mayberry, Jack Antonoff, Lorde and More is up for Auction to Benefit The Ally Coalition
A Fender Paramount guitar that was played by Jack Antonoff of Bleachers at The Ally Coalition’s 3rd annual talent show this past December and signed by Jack, Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES, Lorde, Andrew Dost and Jordan Carlos is up for auction. All proceeds will benefit The Ally Coalition in support of the LGBTQ community.
Click here to bid now and own a piece of music history. Watch a fun group sing along below from that evening covering Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”. Note, a different guitar was played for the song in this video.